(#6495) - West Coast
Industry: Precast & Prestressed Concrete
P.E. Needed to Manage Small Drafting Department
In partnership with the President and Vice President (VP); the Engineering Manager will perform all duties and tasks to plan, organize and operate the engineering functions. The Engineering Manager will work closely with the Drafting Manager, Project Managers, and Plant Manager/Superintendent to determine appropriate solutions.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Work with Estimating/Sales to meet with Architects and Engineers and help develop projects and details.
2. Review drawings and devise engineering solutions.
3. Work with PM/Estimator’s to develop solutions on projects and set-up specific details as needed.
4. Advise Drafting manager and detailers as they need assistance or understanding in drafting engineering aspects of projects.
5. Work with PM/Estimator’s to set-up each project to reflect bid information and schedule commitments.
6. Work with Plant Management to accommodate production requirements and technique.
7. Work with President, VP, Project Managers and Plant Management to track progress and solve detailing/engineering related obstacles as they arise.
8. Review new projects for design issues, RFI’s and engineering requirements.
9. Provide support to Drafting Manager through requested coordination, correspondence and advising to outside detailing sources.
10. Assist Drafting Manager in the development of standard training
11. Coordinate, correspond with, and advise outside structural engineering sources as needed.
12. Review drawings for high productivity constructability and accuracy.
13. All other tasks as assigned.
Judgment/Decision Making/Discretional Authority
Work with President and VP to make appropriate decisions to assist in high productivity and accuracy with both in-house detailer designs and sub-contractors.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
* Actively participate in professional development organizations, internal and external committees, and company meetings as requested.
* Foster positive communications and relationships with co-workers, customers, vendors, etc.
* Keep up to date on industry trends and developments and attend conferences as necessary to develop new and innovative thinking for prospective business.
* Adhere to company policies and procedures.
* Work with a sense of urgency without allowing things to become a crisis.
* Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in civil and/or structural engineering. Current Professional Engineer license preferred.
* Five (5) + years of demonstrated success managing engineering in construction related industry.
* Ability to read and understand blueprints and AutoCAD drawings.
* Background in architectural and structural precast concrete, building construction preferred.
* Experience in construction related industry a plus.
* Strong written and oral communication skills including active listening skills and the ability to negotiate to win/win solutions.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite 2007 or newer, particularly Word, Excel, and Outlook.
* Organized, detail-oriented, creative problem solver.
* Excellent mathematical skills including ability to create and/or work with geometric and algebraic equations.
* Ability to work as part of a team yet work independently on assigned projects.
* Frequent standing, walking and sitting.
* Ability to climb stairs and up and down casting decks.
* Frequent lifting and carrying up to 20 pounds.
* Occasional lifting and carrying up to 40 pounds.
* Must be able to work at computer or desk area for extended periods of time.
* Must be able to use a computer.Apply for this position.