(#9654) - Midwest
Industry: Precast & Prestressed Concrete
PCI Certified producers in the Midwest are looking for Estimators.
This position is responsible for analyzing bid documents, recording precast concrete material types and quantities, preparing accurate cost estimates based upon company standards and guidelines, writing proposal notes and qualifications that are job specific, and submitting cost estimates to salesmen for bidding before scheduled due time.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop a thorough understanding of how each precast concrete product is designed and produced by the company. Understand the purpose and limitations of each product and how it is used in the construction industry.
- Analyze bid documents which include: construction drawings, specifications, and addenda. Some projects may be bid from incomplete plans or from information received verbally; such projects will require some reasonable assumptions to be made by the estimator. It must be made clear on the estimate/proposal what documents or information the bid is based on and what assumptions have been made. Discuss bidding strategy with salesmen, and if necessary solicit input from other departments and or subcontractors.
- Perform takeoff and record precast concrete material types and quantities on excel spreadsheets in a clear and understandable format, and compute the total volume present. Record other miscellaneous hardware or finishing work to be provided to complete the scope of work.
- Analyze how the precast concrete products interface with other products shown. If potential problems exist, such as access limitations, design problems, finish concerns, unusual contract agreement or conditions, etc. consult department manager for input and or a preliminary review of the situation. If necessary contact the customer for further clarification. Make note of any qualifications on bid proposal.
- Prepare cost estimates using company standards and guidelines. Cost estimates are comprised of five (5) basic categories which are: Production, Drafting & Engineering, Trucking, Field installation, and miscellaneous costs. It may be necessary to solicit quotes from outside vendors for operations not performed by the company. Be able to justify procedure used to obtain costs.
- Write proposal notes if required to qualify our bid differently in lieu of what is specified. These notes must be clear, understandable, and written using common construction terminology.
- Double check estimated costs for errors. Whether done by hand or computer, all estimates need to be checked.
- Submit estimate to salesman prior to scheduled due time. Discuss qualifications and unusual cost figures.
- Attend project kick-off meetings after award as required. Offer assistance to department personnel assigned to the project so they understand the scope of the work. Cooperation is needed from everyone to complete projects successfully and on budget.
- Prepare job extras and job credits as required.
- Answer questions from customers who are inquiring about precast concrete or direct calls accordingly. Always be helpful and courteous to customers.
- Work with others in the estimating department to maintain accuracy of standards on a regular basis.
- Must be able and willing to do jobsite visits if required.
- Submit RFI’s to the Architect, EOR, GC or engineer for drawing, detail, loads or design clarifications.
- Assist in responding to ITB’s and downloading of drawings.
- Follow up on submitted bids.
- Entry level sales functions for selected projects.
- Lead generation activities.
- CRM data entry and reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree in building construction of a related field preferred.
- Two years of experience in reading and interpreting blueprints preferred.
- Two years of experience in precast concrete products preferred.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office package, specifically Excel.
- Ability to perform under pressure and tight deadlines. Must use good judgment and make decisions on your own.